Kindly Fill up the form. We will get back to you.
Stainless steel – better understand the entire concept!
Thursday, December 29, 2022
- Is stainless steel widely present in our lives?
- Why doesn't stainless steel rust?
- Why is it more expensive than standard steel?
- Is it resistant to high temperatures and harsh environments?
- Is it possible to weld stainless steel?
The doubts are diverse and come from buyers as well as consumers and suppliers of stainless steel products. However, even interacting with it every day, there is still little knowledge regarding its features, benefits, and applications. Today, in this post, we will learn more about the advantages of stainless steel and why it is so popular among hardware manufacturers.
What is corrosion?
Corrosion is nothing more than forming a compound called iron oxide, generated by the reaction of oxygen in the air with iron in ordinary steel. When there is no chemical protection in the steel, iron oxide accumulates on the material's surface, weakening its structure and giving that porous and dirty appearance known as rust.
The passive layer in stainless steel
Basically, the passive layer protects stainless steel sheets from corrosion due to the chemical component chromium, nickel, manganese, and other components. They react with oxygen in the air and form a thin, resistant layer that prevents the oxidation of stainless steel iron.
Stainless Steel Families
All types of stainless steel manufactured by stainless steel manufacturing companies in Himachal Pradesh have the chemical components responsible for forming the passive layer. It is currently classified into different families to facilitate the understanding and commercialization of stainless steel as a product -
- Austenitic: They are the most used on the market. It is due to the ease of conformation and strength, even at low temperatures.
- Ferritic: They have a low cost but have hardness and resistance limited to corrosion due to their chemical composition, similar to standard steel.
- Martensitic: They are more robust and harder stainless steel, very similar to carbon steel. Due to its composition with high carbon contents, its resistance can be increased through heating.
- Others: Besides the three main categories, there are still some other variations of stainless steel, used on a much smaller scale and usually for the manufacture of parts and equipment that demand a more specific composition.
The characteristics of stainless steel
Even knowing all types of stainless steel that you can buy from wholesale stainless steels sheets suppliers and even how the passive layer works, the question often arises –why use stainless steel? The most obvious answer is that stainless steel is resistant to corrosion, which gives a much longer service life than ordinary steel. But despite being the main feature, there are several other advantages of using stainless steel for manufacturing parts, utensils, coils, equipment, and even civil construction structures. The characteristics are –
- Physical (mechanical) strength equal to or greater than standard steel,
- Ease of cleaning,
- Low surface tension,
- Hygienic appearance,
- Does not react to contact with other materials,
- High durability and service life,
- Ease of modulation and welding,
- Stability at extreme temperatures,
- Modernity, cleanliness, and shine,
- Excellent cost-benefit and low maintenance cost,
- Recyclable material.
Most preferred material at affordable prices
Stainless steel is a very versatile material that can be applied in different business segments and projects. That's because it has several differentials that add advantages in its use. However, it is essential to know how to maintain stainless steel to ensure the performance and durability of the material. Products with hydrochloric acid, bleaches, and silverware polishes should be avoided.
Rugged steel wool and bushings also present a high risk of scratching the material and damaging its protective layer, opening points prone to corrosion. However, to conserve stainless steel, pay attention when cleaning. It is a detail that makes all the difference to facilitate cleaning and preserve the stainless steel material. Do not perform circular movements, especially when using heavier products, and always clean in the correct direction.
Be careful with stain removal.
Sometimes the stainless steel material has stains from handling. Remove them using soap and water or mild detergent. Finally, dry the area with a soft, clean, dry, and absorbent cloth. However, it may be necessary to apply an alkaline or solvent-based paint remover if the stain is painted. Do not use knives or scrapers, as this could scratch the stainless steel object. Maintaining a cleaning routine is essential to preserve the characteristics of stainless steel and prevent stains from appearing recurrently.
As a corrosion-resistant and aesthetically pleasing material, stainless steel has become a national preference in the most diverse markets, from household utensils to large industrial equipment. When in doubt which type is the most suitable for your project, the most recommended is to get in touch with a reliable supplier who can answer all your doubts about its applications and prices. Always buy high-quality products from the best stainless steel manufacturing companies in Himachal Pradesh.
Leave a Comment
PSSR Group of Companies
PSSR Group of Companies is one of India's most trusted names in Stainless Steel Pipes & Tubes Industry. An ISO 9001:2015 Group, The Group was established in the year 1996 with a vision to manufacture and provide Stainless Steel Tubular solutions to the industry. The Directors of the company, with ample experience and expertise, sensed the opportunities in this fast emerging field and invested in the best available human resources, technology, infrastructure and materials.
Plot No. 51,
Industrial Development Colony,
Behind ESI Despensary,
Delhi Road, Indiustrial Area,
Hisar, Haryana - 125001 (India)
Email id :
Designed & Marketed By Digibizonn